Sunday 6 June 2010

Just an ordinary Friday in Sydney: cuties, crocs and celebrities.


4 June 2010

As D.H. Lawrence writes, “ They say Australia is free, and it is.”

However, the freedom to wander about is certainly not cheap. Especially when my morning cup of black coffee (forget about the afternoon ritual) comes in at a whopping AUS$ 3.00. With the price of living being sky-high, it’s a wonder that people can continue to live in Sydney with all of the quite extraordinary and (pricey) temptations it has to offer.

Howsomever, I say, Australia is not a place for whinging, and you only live once; so enough of that, and onto the fun part!

With one whole week of classes behind me (18 hours of class time in three days!), I decided that this weekend was one of true freedom, rest and exploration in this (culturally) rich little city.

The weekend started really, when my dear friend, Annie, and I headed out on a rainy, rainy, rainy Friday morning to explore the amphibians, arachnids, and adorable animals of Australia at the Aquarium and Wildlife Center.

Now, being a New Englander, I can handle the rain. In Boston, the rain/wind/snow combo is the main atmosphere for about three months of the year, and although I knew it would be “rainy season” Down Under, I didn’t expect it to trump the viciousness of a Boston Winter rainstorm. But, alas, alas, Annie and I found ourselves fighting for dear life and warmth by noon that day, and sadly, the koalas and kangas were doing the same.

To start, the Aquarium was my preferred spot, and absolutely worth the trek. Although I’m not a big fish lover, I do like to be in Aquariums once I get there. This one was a “must,” as it allowed the viewer to see the pretty beings of Under the Sea, over your head, and in your hands. The different displays held dainty seahorses, cool starfish, dangerous jellies, coral cuties, and big time sharks. BIG TIME SHARKS. Essentially, everything that may, at some point, hurt you in some way when you’re not looking as you surf along the waves, came together in one safe place behind the Sydneyside plastic glass. Overall, it was a very pleasant, relaxing way to warm up, and learn about the wondrous wer world.

On the other hand, the Wildlife center was a different story… and not one really worth telling. It was more disturbing to me than fun…and I’m sad to say that I probably won’t go back. First of all, yikes, all the most dangerous snakes and spiders in the world were in the main entrance (!), so it offered a glimpse into the several ways to die by venom, no-thank-you. But, moreso, it was the cutie patutie furry friends that made me upset. From the wandering wallabys, to the sleepy koalas to the face of the nation, all of the animals just looked plain sad. In my imagination, I thought my first encounter with the legendary ‘Roo would be out in the landscape, as he hopped along the horizon, or something romantic. However, no one should ever see these Australian heroes crouched down under a teeny piece of roof behind plastic, trying to find some solace in a very wet, hard and cold rain. Basically, all of the kangaroos were in this plastic-ed “cave,” and so soaked that they couldn’t move. Same with the koalas. Up in trees, snoozing away, but also quite grumpy looking. Sad, but true, and if I never see one again because I avoid this type of thing, I’ll be okay. I nearly handed the poor blokes my half-broken Target umbrella just to get that look off their faces! Sad, sad, sad.

Anyway, it was something on the “to-do list,” so it was done, and all and all, Annie and I enjoyed seeing the variety of wildlife and sea creatures in one afternoon.

In the evening, we dried off a bit, and had added bit more glamour to the rainy day as we joined our professor for an original movie premiere in the Sydney Film Festival. It was held at a spectacular theatre venue, and there were journalists, actors, bow-ties and cameras. Truly, a big event. Our attendance was part of our Travel Writing class, as we are going to a town in the middle of nowhere called Omeo, where this film, Red Hill, was shot.

The film was a Western-style thriller, and unlike anything I’d seen in my childhood days watching Westerns with my Opa on Saturday afternoons. No more “Hi-yo, Silver!”, no more hunky John Wayne strollin’ round the saloon looking for a little lady and a fellow to shoot at High Noon. No, sir. Although this movie had the cowboys, the shiny spurs, the quiet town, it also had an escaped convict wanted for murder running around a sleepy town with a machine gun. Hm. Did it concern me that it was filmed in the hotel where we’ll be staying for a few nights? Not really. Although, I did jump into my teacher’s arms at various suspenseful “cat and mouse” chasing scenes. With the haunting memories of the scenes from Red Hill following ten college girls around, she, and our one brave boy, better get used to it.

TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nrEm9KMV7I

Cool fact, too is that because we were “student journalists,” we were able to meet with the talented director and writer, Patrick Hughes. He was very friendly, and as we posed for a picture, I finally understood how stud-ly Aussie men can be. Almost a George Clooney figure, he was quite patient and kind to a group of outgoing American girls.

For my own personal excitement, I got to meet Claire Van Der Boom, an upcoming actress, who I saw in a film called The Square at Coolidge Corner, right before I came to Australia. What a coincidence that she was also in Red Hill, albeit, briefly. We chatted for about 20 minutes, and she was even prettier in person than on the silver screen. She’s quite, quite talented, and I expect to see her more often in the coming years. Best of luck to her!

So, as we headed to the Cross (King’s Cross, actually—but like all things in Australia, the British references are slowly getting wiped out), where the hipster club scene is, I was reminded of how lucky I am to be here, and what an excellent variety of events a free Friday in Sydney could give to you, even in all of that pouring rain. After all, if my umbrella could survive all that ferocious water, so could I; and just in time for all the glittering fun.

Happy travels, from all of us Down Under,

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment