Monday 7 June 2010

Breathe Fresh Air, Ever After...


After I wiped the glitter from my eyelids from the night before, I took my sunny Saturday morning to take a solo trip to Circular Quay, where the Opera House and Harbour Bridge sit in all their glory. Now, I had been to the Quay a few times, but mostly at night and with other folks. With my first single girl bus ride under way, I only had to furrow my brow down the first part of George Street, but arrived without a hitch, and that small fear of being completely lost in Sydney, Australia quickly left me.

On my agenda, I wanted to hit the Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Royal Botanical Gardens with this sunfilled afternoon. Although I arrived around 2 PM, and I was aware of the impending 4:30 sunset, I sat for a while near the Port and watched the people go by on a lively Saturday afternoon. I even bought myself an ice cream cone, and that was one of the best decisions I’ve made so far. With it’s creamy texture, and chocolatey goodness, my first cone of Copenhagen ice cream was delectable, and kicked the day off really right.


Anyway, eventually, I pulled myself indoors, and checked out the much-anticipated Biennale festival inside the M.C.A. The festival is one of contemporary art, and is held in various museums around Australia, although the Museum of Contemporary Art here is the big player, with four whole floors full of participating artwork. For those of you who aren’t art lovers, I won’t go into extensive detail, but I loved what I saw. Many of the paintings and sketches were political satires and commentaries, without being off-putting, and giving away the real agenda. Most of the works were colorful, original, and dealt with serious issues, while still making Abstract art enjoyable. There were no “open for interpretation” blank squares, or shiny sticks that symbolized the essence of life; each work had a purpose, and a clear message about the Australian mentality, of both past, present, and future. Interestingly, there were many pieces dedicated to the Aborigines, with one room displaying clay poles (big and totem like- but skinny) made by one tribe, which came after a death in the family or community. In using their own artistic symbols, each pole was dedicated to a different lost individual; but each section clearly communicated the sentiments to anyone using the universal signs of sadness.

Overall, it seems like Australia is going through an evolution of identity, not really knowing who she is yet, based on where she came from, and where she’s going. With the landscape being a bit more built up, immigration soaring, and only 175 years under her belt, the modern day Aussies seem to be pulling themselves up by their bootstraps (as they have always done), but now they aren’t sure which way to go. Although the United States has always been seen as an ally, both politically and culturally, Australia has had to drop that crutch, as one big brother figure of a country has disappointed quite a bit in recent actions. Supporters of us, they will always be, but it seems that Australia has her own path to make, which paves a much more peaceful road.

When I came out of the M.C.A, it had started to pour again. Sans an umbrella, I decided to cut my losses on the Botanical Garden, and cave for a $3.00 cup o’ Joe. After a great journaling session, and catching up on some classwork, I looked up from my drained porcelain cup to see a humongous rainbow arching over the Opera House from the busy city. As pretty as she had been with the colored lights on the first evening, nothing could compare to the natural pinks and yellows that came from an unexpectedly gorgeous Sydneyside sunset.

After all, Australia was, is, and always will be a place where the sun shines through the rain (of bad politics, abusive power, starvation, and hard living). No matter what may destroy the land, the people always rise above to be more than what their harsh conditions give them. They may have started as “criminals,” but they’ve certainly grown into a race of optimism, easy-living, and kindness, and on that day, under the indescribable beauty of the color filled sky, I was reminded, that just like the Australians, and just like this gigantic rainbow, sometimes it takes a little rain, a little hard disappointment to find those perfect moments of peace. Sometimes, they come when you least expect them, and sometimes, they fade to night just as easily as they burst through the gloom. But, no matter what, no matter how rainy, or dark, or dreary things may become, it’s nice to know that those fresh, colorful, and surprising new beginnings of unexpected adventure are always there. You just need a little rain, and maybe some grey sky, to highlight the spectacular and unforgettable colors of the rainbow.

Afterward, Julianna, Aly and I went to see Nosferatu inside the Opera House (my first time), which was awesomely done with a live band accompanying the 1910 silent film. And the next day, we tried to soak up some more sun at Manly Beach. I really enjoyed the ferry ride over, and for my second time on Australian seas, I again got to soak up the fresh air, smell the sea and embrace the freedom of the wind blowing through my crazy hair. However, we only had about an ounce of sun that day, and quickly, the open seas turned to rough waves.


But like I said, there’s no rainbow without the rain. So, I took my drenched, cold self to get a bowl of pumpkin soup, and discovered why this vegetable is so prized in Australia. With a little warmth inside my empty tummy, I headed back to the city, taking my good with the bad to see more color than greys in the unexpectedness of the whole Aussie adventure.

Happy Travels,

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment