Thursday 22 July 2010

Hakuna Matata—the problem free philosophy…




Being in Australia for two months, all I can say is that I’ve acquired the very popular phrase: No worries. Not only is it in my vocabulary, but now, it’s in my spirit… and I hope that this mindset will last me the rest of my days.

However, bit by bit, inch by inch, that sinking feeling of stress, of packing, of clearing up and shipping out has brought a sense of worry over my head, even though I would have liked to leave that on the doorstep of Sydney arrival gate, the approaching departure date makes me realise that Australia and I aren’t sure when we’ll see each other again.




So, with these last few days in Melbourne to close my trip in the best way possible, I vow to soak up every minute left in this wondrous country. I promise to take my long black coffees sitting down with a newspaper, to sit in the sunshine for a little in the middle of the day, and to stand at the hand driers for as long as it takes. I promise to smile more, to get lost when I can, and to only drink iced coffees that have a scoop of iced cream in them. I promise to always breathe in the sea air, and look out and over the water with optimism, even if the chance of seeing a whale seems impossible. I promise to take the lessons of Down Under up and over, and to bring the brave new spirit found in being a Sydneysider Stateside, forever and for always.

After all, this is a country where you can find a kangaroo on a beach at sunset, and make friends by sharing an ice cream cone. There are huge rainbows after rainstorms, passion fruits available in almost any sort of food, and magnificent sunsets that take your breath away every day. There are teachers and friends here who support you in your dreams, who push you to be better, and who tell you not to give up, no matter how many times you see 5:30 AM because you’re writing and re-writing and re-writing again. It’s a place where one successful British writer told me, “I came here to make my dreams come true, and they did.”

There have been girls to laugh with, girls to cry with, friends to learn from, and pals to party with, and dance the nights away. It’s been an experience of growing, of learning, of challenging myself to be bigger, better, and brighter. Australia wiped away the scars of my past, and just like in her history, took my imprisoned self, and released her back to life. I’ve explored the depths and heights of Victoria, tasted grapes from the finest wineries in New South Wales, and soaked up the legends and culture that make each region its own.

These are the things I’ll miss, and the lessons I will take home with me, even after my suitcases are unloaded, and my busy Boston life resumes.

In the end, it’s a place where, no matter where you go, or who you’re with, each day is a “G’day.” And after getting used to all this beauty and feeling no worries, how can you just let go?

Here’s to you, Australia. I will always hold you close to my heart with sincere gratitude and fondness forever.

Cheers, mate for the memories, and til we meet again,


‘Ta.

Happy Travels,

xxx


(me and Timon...the man of the Hakuna Matata)

No comments:

Post a Comment